Friday, April 20, 2012

X-men Supreme Issue 52: District X Part 1 PREVIEW

It's been a busy time for the X-men Supreme fanfiction series. After my last early update, I'm trying to get back on schedule. As some of you may know, I've been recovering from surgery. I haven't recovered as quickly as I hoped, but that hasn't stopped me from moving forward with X-men Supreme. I understand that Marvel fans and comic book fans in general loathe delays. I do too and I'm doing everything in my power to make sure that they don't happen with this fanfiction series. With that in mind, if my recovery slows me down I will let everyone know. As it stands, I plan on updating on time. Through the process, X-men Supreme has kept me busy and I have a few important updates to announce.

First and foremost, I've prepared the standard preview for the next issue. I'm still a bit behind, but this is an issue I can't rush unfortunately. It is the first issue of a three-part arc that will introduce a number of new elements to the world of X-men Supreme. The ongoing political struggle with Senator Robert Kelly's presidential run has created numerous upheavals as Issue 51: Stirring Outrage revealed, he's willing to make some rather shady deals to earn his ticket to the White House. This new arc, entitled District X, will add a new dimension to that conflict while also introducing a slew of new characters. Some were already revealed at the end of the last issue. More will be revealed as this arc unfolds. As such, I've prepared an extended preview to show what you can expect with this new arc.

“How much longer?” asked Sebastian impatiently.


“We’re almost done, Captain Gilberti,” said one of the scientists, “We’re powering up the neural interface and charging up the weapons system.”


“Well hurry it up! Mr. Creed will be here any minute,” he urged, “And how many times do I have to remind you? When I’m in the prototype, call me Bastion!”


He was more forceful with his tone than when they started off. The scientists with Worthington suspected it was a result of the prototype. They claimed he was having some sort of psychological reaction to it, but the Friends of Humanity brushed it off. To them, it was a side-effect of success. Since Graydon Creed had that chat with him, the good captain had been more focused and less compromising. It was a good thing too because they were going to need that focus for what they had planned.


The prototype was almost ready. Sebastion Gilerti, or Bastion now as he thought of himself, was ready for action. As the final systems acame online, the main door to the area opened and Graydon Creed stepped in.


“Mr. Creed!” said Bastion intently, “Is it time for the test already?”


“Indeed it is. And we’re stepping up our timetable,” he said in a dark tone, “We’ve had an unfortunate development. See for yourself.”


Graydon tossed him a copy of today’s paper. On the front page was the headline “Mutant Mayhem in the City.” Just below the text were a series of pictures. They all depicted a number of men in Friends of Humanity attire being chained to street posts in East Harlem. From the looks of it, they had been beaten and humiliated. The graffiti painted on their bodies made it clear that mutants were behind this. It would have been almost humorous if it weren’t so egregious.


“Those deviant monsters!” scolded Bastion, “How did this happen?”


“Don’t concern yourself with the details. All you need to know is that this occurred in a lawless patch of land in New York City where mutants live by their own laws and shun humanity. They call it District X and in wake of this incident the entire mutant populace is up in arms. They’re prepared to march down the streets of New York, unleashing untold destruction on innocent humans.”


“And you want me to use the prototype to stop them?” surmised Bastion.


“By any means necessary,” said Creed strongly, “Make no mistake. This is not just a test. This is a mission. Your success here may very well determine the fate of human affairs.”


“I understand,” he said strongly, “As Sebastian Gilberti, I can’t make any promises. But as Bastion, you have my word that I will stop them!”


There was that burning intent again. It was the kind of tone he used only when he had the prototype on. Graydon Creed couldn’t help but admire such determination. It was the kind of grit they would need if they were to oppose the mutant onslaught.


“That’s all I need to hear,” said Creed, “My team will now enter the coordinates into the prototype. Once you’re in the air, all communication will be severed.”


“I understand,” said Bastion, “Will the Worthington staff know?”


“My people have already taken care of them,” he assured, “They think it’s your night off and the prototype is undergoing maintenance.”


“And they bought it? Guess these Worthington Industry people aren’t as attentive as I thought.”


“They serve their purpose. Now it is tome we serve ours,” said Creed strongly.


The founder and leader of the Friends of Humanity took the paper and stepped back behind a protective barrier with the rest of his scientists. The final checks had been completed and the launch sequence was underway. The wires and tubes going into the prototype were released, leaving the determined young Captain to stand on his own in preparation for the next step.


A series of sirens went off as blast shielding went up to protect the men and equipment from the ensuing ignition. The scientists worked feverishly while Graydon Creed watched with a calm yet determined focus. A lot was riding on this mission. He promised Senator Kelly that his people would deliver the trust and faith of humanity. This was him making good on that promise while earning what he hoped would be a place in the very upper echelons of power.


“Opening launch tunnel,” said one of the scientists, “T-minus 30 seconds to ignition.”


Right above Bastion, the gears and machinery that helped him put on the prototype moved out of the way via hydraulics. Up above, a series of gates in the ceiling opened. Bastion looked up at the now open tunnel above him. He could see the clear afternoon skies above him. It was the first time he would be venturing out into the open with this prototype. Now the world was going to see what he could do.


Everything was set. Each scientist gave the go-ahead for the next and most crucial step. Graydon Creed would have the honors. He stood over the main console ready to initiate this pivotal test. One of the main technicians began the final countdown.


“Ignition in 5…4…3…2…1.”

These new characters will also mean more updates to the bios section. I know I can't prepare a bio for every new character that emerges because doing so would mean revealing too many spoilers, but for some characters I understand it's important to provide more information about who they are and where they've come from. As such, I've prepared a new bio for Charles Xavier's new business partner/love interest, Lilandra Neramani. She's an important character both in the comics and in this fanfiction series so be sure to keep an eye on her because you know Xavier sure will!

Bios - Lilandra Neramani

Lastly, I know it's also been a while since I added a new commission to the pics section. Well thanks to my old friend, Brian Brinlee, X-men Supreme finally has another commission to add to its ever growing catalog. Once again, Mr. Brinlee has brought a scene from X-men Supreme to life. In this case, he took a scene from Issue 26: The Ties That Terrorize where Piotr Rasputin made his X-men Supreme debut. As always, I thank Mr. Brinlee for his generous contribution and if anyone out there is interested in submitting artwork for X-men Supreme, please contact me at any time.

I know this is an extensive update. I would have posted the bios and pics sooner, but my health just won't allow me. I don't plan on having it affect X-men Supreme too much, but if it does I'll be sure to inform all the generous readers who have made X-men Supreme such a wonderful success. If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to contact me at any time. Until the next update, take care and best wishes! Excelsior!

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment