Friday, August 7, 2015

X-men Supreme Reflections: Jack Freeman is LIVE!


The plan for the next era of the X-men Supreme fanfiction series is officially in progress. The story of the X-men in this unique world is set to take many new twists and turns. But before it can move forward, there are some loose ends from the past that I feel need to be resolved. One of the reasons I began X-men Supreme Reflections was because I found it difficult to explore a certain character's persona within the pages of the main X-men Supreme series. I knew when I began X-men Supreme that I wanted to give these characters as much development as I could, but I also knew I had to still tell an awesome story. It's not always possible to do both, but X-men Supreme Reflections gives me a chance.

Numerous characters have gone through many changes throughout the X-men Supreme fanfiction series. Characters like Wolverine have uncovered painful secrets about his life in Weapon X and the life he tried to build in Japan. Characters like Cyclops have dealt with conflicts surrounding his brother, Havok, and his numerous romances that eventually led to his current relationship with Jean Grey. And characters like Wanda Maximoff have had to undergo many changes between being Magneto's loyal daughter to being Genosha's leader. Each one of these characters has a personality from the mythos of X-men that I've tried to capture. Fans who like Cyclops, Wolverine, and the Scarlet Witch in the comics should find some familiar traits to enjoy here in X-men Supreme. However, the same can't be said for Jack Freeman.

I waited a long time into the development of X-men Supreme before I introduced an original character that would be unique to this fanfiction series. In fact, I waited until the 75th issues during X-men Supreme Issue 75: Renegade. It was an important moment for me because I understand that people don't read X-men Supreme to see my characters. They read X-men Supreme to read about the X-men. However, I wanted to make Jack Freeman a character who is a major part of the X-men's story. I've seen one too many original characters in fanfiction essentially subvert the story of X-men for the sake of the character. I didn't want that to happen with Jack Freeman. I like to think I've succeeded, but I want to do more with him.

Since his introduction, I've developed Jack a number of ways. I've established that he is not a particularly smart individual and lacks overall social skills, but he is a dedicated and driven young man. He comes from a troubled background. He doesn't have a lot of family ties. The closest thing he has to family is his superior officer, General Nathan Grimshaw. He's also not a big fan of the X-men. In fact, he went out of his way to distance himself from them because he wants to be a soldier first and a mutant last. It puts him in a difficult position in the human/mutant conflict. But there are still a lot of unanswered questions about this character.

I don't expect as many X-men fans to be overly curious about Jack Freeman as they are about other X-men. However, Jack Freeman's story is important to understand for the future of X-men Supreme. He will continue to play a role in this fanfiction series and that role will evolve, along with the rest of the X-men. And with this entry of X-men Supreme Reflections, I hope people will have a better understanding and appreciation for this character. Remember, this is not a character you'll find in Marvel's mainline comics. You can only get him here at X-men Supreme.

X-men Supreme Reflections: Jack Freeman

The next entry of X-men Supreme Reflections will get back to more familiar characters, but I hope readers will find something to like about Jack Freeman. I don't want him to be a generic original character that detracts from the main narrative. X-men Supreme is still an X-men story at heart. And that's how I want it to remain for however long it continues. But part of making X-men Supreme awesome is knowing when I'm doing something awesome and when I'm not. That's why it's extra important that I get feedback on Jack Freeman and the X-men Supreme fanfiction series as a whole. So please take the time to contact me directly with your feedback or post your comments directly in the issue. Let me know so I can make X-men Supreme more awesome. Until next time, take care and best wishes. Excelsior!

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment