Friday, July 21, 2017

X-men Supreme Issue 154: Reaching Out is LIVE!


Since I began X-men Supreme, I’ve often made an effort to make sure that this fanfiction series stands out in a meaningful way, compared to the ongoing X-men comics. While the X-men were facing yet another extinction plot or another sterilization story, I had them traveling to visit the Shi’ar in the Starcrossed arc. When Jean Grey was dead and the Phoenix Force was just a ploy to get the X-men and Avengers to fight, I was overhauled the concept in the X-men Supreme version of the Phoenix Saga.

Every now and then, however, X-men Supreme lines up with the X-men comics in a peculiar way. When the second Wolverine movie came out a few years ago, it coincided with my Lotus and the Warrior arc during X-men Supreme Volume 4: Politics of Fear. That kind of synergy isn’t always possible. I couldn’t really do anything for the release of X-men Apocalypse or the Logan movie. However, I try to make use of those opportunities when I get a chance.

That leads me to the awkward situation that X-men Supreme faces now, at least compared to the X-men comics. At the moment, this fanfiction series has the X-men working directly with President Kelly and General Grimshaw in an unprecedented partnership between humans and mutants. After the events of X-men Supreme Volume 6: Liberation Decimation, Charles Xavier made the difficult decision to overhaul the X-men, as well as his dream, and team up with the government in what he called the Mutant Monitoring Initiative.

This decision left the X-men deeply divided. After the decision was made in X-men Supreme Issue 148: New Divide, Cyclops and Wolverine quit the team and formed X-Force. This division is the primary driving force of X-men Supreme Volume 7: United and Divided. Conversely, the X-men are in a very different place in the comics. Many of them are currently freedom fighters, of sorts, standing against an oppressive world led by Hydra within the pages of Secret Empire. It’s not just different from what’s going on in this fanfiction series. It’s the complete opposite.

Now, I didn’t plan it this way. I laid out the plot for X-men Supreme Volume 7: United and Divided long before I even knew about Secret Empire. However, things just played out that way. The X-men are working for the government in one series and against it in another. It’s a strange confluence of circumstanced between X-men Supreme and the comics, but it’s one I still want to maximize.

At the moment, the X-men and X-Force are dealing with the aftermath of Volatility Sensibility. They struggled to help a single innocent mutant in Nitro. Now, thanks to the efforts of their friends in X-Factor, they know there’s a larger threat on the horizon from a familiar enemy in Sebastian Shaw. If they struggled with Nitro, what hope do they have against Sebastian Shaw? It’s a tense situation, one that will set the stage for the next major clash. It begins here, but make no mistake. It’s a prelude to a much larger storm.

X-men Supreme Issue 154: Reaching Out

I know not every X-men fan likes what’s going on in the X-men comics right now. One of the reasons I began this fanfiction series was to give something for those dissatisfied fans to enjoy until the storm passes. That makes the current situation somewhat awkward. Some of the dynamics in X-men Supreme might not appeal to certain X-men fans, many of whom were already burned out on schisms and team divisions. I totally understand that. Like the comics, though, there is a larger plan in place. I hope to develop that plan in as awesome a manner as possible. As such, it’s critical that I continue to get feedback, despite spammers making a mess of my comments section. Either post your feedback in the comments section or, better yet, contact me directly. I’m always happy to hear from readers and from X-men fans. Until next time, take care and best wishes. Xcelsior!

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment